Monday, April 09, 2007

Is the Internet a Scapegoat for Avoiding Confrontation?


Is our dependency on the internet enabling us to avoid face to face confrontation? We talk to each other everyday by text and email messages. Even start and end relationships through email. Did you know there are websites and businesses you can get break up letters from and will even do the breaking up for you? Wow!

Have we gone too far? Our industry has it’s foundation in developing relationships and I have to wonder if our relationships via the Internet instead of in person or by phone is diminishing. I also have to admit that I am just as guilty as the rest of them.

When Brad and I started out in the industry we followed others who were doing the whole hotel meeting tour and meeting prospects in coffee shops. We lugged our baby in the car carrier back and forth along with our laptop and signup sheets. It was so exhausting, especially when our guests didn’t even show up! The price of gas was going up and we were tired and feeling frustrated. When we were introduced to a variety of different methods to network with people via the phone and the Internet, we were absolutely elated. Our business started growing faster and now that we have two little ones we didn’t have to drag around to meetings waiting patiently in a coffee shop for someone to blow us off.

I love the Internet and what it has brought us – a growing business that has allowed both myself and my husband to work from home, new friends and business partners, an outlet for my passion of the written word and so much education at my fingertips about marketing and copywriting and often much of it for free.

To tell you the truth my relationships off the ‘Net’ in the real world are better because I no longer have to hound my friends and family about my business. If people want to actually talk to me who approach me through our autoresponder, they will leave a phone number, although people usually feel more comfortable texting through Skype.

What the Internet also has done is enabled people who weren’t usually social to be able to meet others and feel comfortable talking to others through their computer. Imagine the doors it has opened for these shy, introverted people who wanted to meet others but never felt comfortable before. There are social networking groups for every kind of interest out there. It is much like off the Internet, you are still developing relationships with people but now the Internet has allowed us to reach across the world and develop friendships with people in other countries and continents. When it all comes down to it, I see the wonders of the Internet as a positive thing and I think some people will seek avoidance no matter what.

Brad & Kelly Smith are founders of their home based business - Mindset Marketing (http://www.mentoringinmotion.biz). They are mentors and leaders in Mentors in Motion, Master Key System and Amigo Health Labs. They share their passion and knowledge of the industry within the past 5 years with others in success. Check our http://www.nhl-amigos.com/ or subscribe to their free newsletter with 7 Tips for Success: http://www.mentoringinmotion.org