Sunday, April 08, 2007

It's A Mom's Life

When I am not separating lights and darks, kissing boo boos, sucking cheerios out from underneath the sofa or playing hide and seek, I am running a business. On the contrary of what many people think that I may sit on the couch eating bon bons and watching Oprah That’s the joke my husband used to say when he was still in a 9 to 5 job.

He certainly changed his tune when he decided to work by my side as a work at home dad. Everyday consists of organizing the day between activities for our toddlers, meals and snacks and bathtime and organization of the business, and who is taking what role as mom and dad or business owner. Then there is of course the “sometimes life gets in the way situations of a melt down or the latest sniffles the kids are passing back and forth to each other at a playdate.

I just wanted to inform people out there why there are so many networking sites for stay at home and work at home moms. If you’re a mom you know what I am talking about. ;) We need others to relate to and talk to when we feel like we are at our wits end trying to find the balance between the two.

I always tell people I didn’t know what busy was until I became a mom. It’s a 24/7 job, one of the toughest but most rewarding in my opinion. To me, having a business from home is my version of having it all, but it comes with a price. And when I listen to people who work at a 9 to 5 and say they don’t have time to fit in a part time business that may be able to replace their full time, I just giggle.

“Yes. Busy,” I reply rolling my eyes. Not everyone has a dowry like me so my full time nanny can take care of the kids all day and my assistant can do all the work for me while I go and get my nails and hair done at the spa and my business magically grows . . . I am kidding! I remember attending a networking training and the trainers said, “When someone says they are busy, say don’t kid yourself, we are all busy.” Hit the nail on the head.

What I have learned is when someone replies “I am too busy” the translation is “It’s just not a priority for me right now.” Really, think about it. If the next person who called you said he had an extra first class full-paid ticket to Bermuda for a week would you say, “Hmmm, I am really too busy.” Yeah, right.

I am speaking from experience because I used to be that person and still use that excuse on occasion, because let’s face it, I am always busy. Even if I am busy taking time out for myself.

Brad & Kelly Smith are founders of their home based business - Mindset Marketing. They are mentors and leaders in Mentors in Motion, Master Key System and Amigo Health Labs. They share their passion and knowledge of the industry within the past 5 years with others in success. Check our http://www.nhl-amigos.com/ or subscribe to their free newsletter with 7 Tips for Success: http://www.mentoringinmotion.org/