Thursday, April 05, 2007

Standing Still




We hear so many stories of people being told they can’t accomplish their goals or dreams or will never make it and in fact, go on to be great leaders and role models in our society. Oprah comes to mind of course and The Pursuit of Happyness’ Christopher Gardner . His story brings tears to my eyes not because it’s a rags to riches story, but because his son was a driving force to overcome any obstacle.

Being a dedicated mother myself, one of my dreams was to be home with my children and give them a better life and teach them that anything is accessible to them. How grateful I am that my husband Brad is also my business partner and our children are able to be with both of us whenever they want because we are both running a business out of our home. Yes, there are sacrifices. Yes, it isn’t easy working with and living with each other around the clock. Yes, it’s worth it. Having a dream and not allowing anyone else to tell you “No”, is paramount to how I live.

Today, when people tell me I can’t do something, I say “Thank you.”

Why?

Because they are giving me fuel to prove myself despite what others may think or say. It could be human nature or just the way I am wired.

When I was younger, I went through some difficult stages and made some mistakes with my life, that serve as learning experiences today. But while I was in that part of my life, I had no hope for my dreams, couldn’t even see a future, but there was still a small part of me that kept driving forward. You see, I have learned dreams can start small and as you reach the smaller ones, your dreams expand into bigger and better ones.

When I was in my early 20s all I wanted was to straighten my head out and go back to college, finish and major in one of my passions - writing. Before when I attended school I was following everyone else’s dreams and eventually flunked out. Big surprise.

When I decided to go back to school on my own steam, despite being broke, I remember my mother saying, “You’re just fooling yourself.” The one person who was supposed to have unconditional faith in my ability to do anything didn’t even have faith in me anymore. My heart sank into my stomach and the disappointment in myself was overwhelming.

This was a defining moment. -- It solidified that I was going to do it, find a way. Straighten myself out, start following my dreams. On my terms. And I did, applied for loans, found housing on campus, worked a part time job while attending college full time. I immersed myself in school and graduated with a journalism degree with honors.

It was just the first step, which led to a journey that I had always dreamed about but never expected including finally moving across country on my own with what belongings I could fit in my pick up truck, meeting my soul mate, finding my passion and myself and having two beautiful children. And my journey has only begun, my dreams keep expanding as I fulfill more of them. I wake up some days, tired, but still elated that this is my life.

I remember one particular evening talking to my father as he lay in one of many hospital beds (he was sick for over 20 years before passing on July 23, 2002).

“Don’t ever pass up any opportunities,” he said looking at me wondering if this was the last time we would talk. I had learned in his later years that he had passed up his own opportunities and dreams offered to him, because of fear. Can you imagine, coming to the end of your life, saying, would of, could of, should of? That’s my worst fear and another driving force. Why I am telling you this? Life doesn’t stop even when you are standing still.

Brad & Kelly Smith are founders of their home based business - Mindset Marketing. They are mentors and leaders in Mentors in Motion, Master Key System and Amigo Health Labs. They share their passion and knowledge of the industry within the past 5 years with others in success. Check our http://www.nhl-amigos.com/ or subscribe to their free newsletter with 7 Tips for Success: http://www.mentoringinmotion.org